Metropolitan State University of Denver and DIME Denver partnership enables students to take MSU Denver courses at DIME Denver. As an MSU Denver student, you will pursue a Bachelors of Arts degree in Sound and Vision. DIME Denver functions as an extended campus of MSU Denver, where students can also pursue BA’s in Music with concentrations in commercial music performance, commercial songwriting, and music industry studies.
DIME Denver is a music institute that is custom built for serious musicians who desire a long-term, professional career in commercial music. Courses offered by MSU Denver at DIME Denver are designed to build strong musical and academic foundations, which allow students to seize opportunities for long and sustained careers in the music industry.
The BA in Sound and Vision is a liberal arts degree that integrates video, social media, photography and general studies content throughout all coursework. Students are exposed to a broad curriculum that includes studies in history, the arts and humanities, and the sciences.
This BA degree in Sound and Vision equips aspiring visual producers with the knowledge and skills needed to function effectively in the fast-changing landscape of the music and visual media industries. The degree aims to develop critically, contextually and culturally aware practitioners through the production of diverse visual works that serve musical artists and the music industry.
Under the guidance of working professionals, the Sound and Vision degree provides students with essential information about the functionality of the discipline. Students learn how to create and exploit multiple income streams in the visual and music industries. Instructors and course work encourage freethinking and individuality that allows students to enroll in specialized classes that focus on visual production for music while meeting all BA degree requirements.
The intensive nature of the degree enables learners to become skilled practitioners and provides the freedom to develop their own unique and innovative methods of working. Upon completion of the degree, students will have assembled a professional portfolio that equips them to identify, create and respond to numerous career opportunities that exist in the ever-evolving visual production field as it relates to the music industry.
MSU Denver at DIME offers the Sound and Vision degree as a full-time program, which enables students to complete their studies in four years.
- MSU Denver at DIME Denver faculty include video producers, social media experts, PR and photography professionals, who are all active in their fields.
- Faculty who are award-winning educators with real-world experience.
- Instructors who guide and encourage students to develop their own individual area(s) of expertise.
- Direct engagement with the visual production industry through project-based work and internships.
- Collaboration within a broader visual production and music community; your regular interaction with peers and faculty groups is enhanced by live events and other extra-curricular activities including: master classes, year-end showcases, regular Open House events, production work with DIME Denver music students and the opportunity to partner with local video producers, musicians and music related organizations.
How are the courses taught?
The teaching strategies applied within the degree program seek to reflect and apply the educational philosophy of MSU Denver and DIME, and the rationale, aims and learning outcomes of the course. The intention is to engage the active participation of a committed group of academic instructors, technical staff and students. Students at MSU Denver at DIME Denver will benefit from the following modes of teaching:
- Group lectures in which students learn from experienced instructors and interact with other students in a group setting.
- Specialist lectures within the institute environment, where students will learn in specialist specific groups.
- Lab/lecture combinations where students learn editing theory and apply it in hands-on lab exercises at MSU Denver.
- Weekly lectures with instruction by world-class industry professionals who have vast experience in the video production industry and with social media.
- Regular One-To-One interaction and advising on matters relating to courses, career planning and student care offered by the MSU Denver at DIME Denver Campus Manager, the DIME Denver Head of Institute, MSU Denver Faculty and DIME Denver Student Services Manager.
- Exclusive Masterclasses from renowned artists, educators and industry professionals.
What you’ll do
For further information about the BA degree in Sound and Vision, you may visit MSU Denver’s website, or explore the course content by clicking on the sections below:
Year 1: Semester 1
Year 1: Semester 2
Year 2: Semester 1
Year 2: Semester 2
Year 3: Semester 1
Year 3: Semester 2
Year 4: Semester 1
Year 4: Semester 2
Throughout your studies with MSU Denver at DIME Denver you will come into contact with a range of artists, experts, practitioners, educators, support personnel, and administrative staff. Your key contacts will be the MSU Denver at DIME Denver Campus Manager, DIME Denver Head of Institute, DIME Student Services Coordinator, your Department Chair, and MSU Denver faculty and instructors. You will enjoy regular contact with these people during your studies.
In addition, your education will be enhanced by input from a range of experts through masterclasses and their contribution to the design and writing of specific classes. Click here to see some of DIME Denver’s previous guests.
The modes of assessment used in this degree program include:
- Portfolio of work
- Group assignments
- Hands-on exercises
- In-class presentations
- Essays (critical, reflective, research-based)
- Assigned media projects
- Project documentation
In some cases, instructors employ more than one mode of assessment for a class to ensure that learners can demonstrate fulfillment of the learning outcomes. The work produced for these assessments develops graduate outcomes required in employment, such as a high level of managerial and entrepreneurial competency, time management abilities, written and oral communication skills, portfolio production, critical reflection, and team work. Self-motivation, independence, and creativity are other benefits associated with the assessment process.
MSU Denver at DIME are deeply committed to providing career advice and support. This starts in the recruitment of a roster of MSU Denver faculty who exemplify the values of a successful self-employed professionals in today’s video, photo and social media industries. MSU Denver at DIME courses and learning outcomes reflect the visual production industry as it is today, and our commitment to degree development will ensure their currency in the future. At MSU Denver at DIME, we encourage students to form realistic and achievable career goals underpinned by research and experience that provide a genuine understanding of the structure and operation of the visual production field. We describe this philosophy as ‘designing your own professional life’ and this theme will recur throughout the degree.
Further career opportunities/destinations may include, but are not limited to:
- Video producer
- Music video director
- Show runner
- Video editor
- Editing assistant
- Music supervisor for film or video
- Motion graphics artist
- Video technical director
- Clearance coordinator
- Social media manager
- Technical or vocational school teacher
Further study opportunities include, but are not limited to:
- Graduate study in film or video, film direction and scriptwriting, film criticism and theory
- (K-12) Teaching Certification – National Board Certification by the American Board for Certification of Teaching Excellence (ABCTE)